Wednesday, August 21, 2013

2013-14 Begins NOW!

Welcome to our class!  

I know we're going to have a great year together.

I started this class blog a couple years ago, and I plan to utilize it with our class again this year for both math and non-math posts.  Please look over the blog rules page before commenting.

For your first post, please briefly introduce yourself.  You may share something from your Mathography, or you may include something new.  You only need to write a sentence or two...just please write something that will help us know you a bit better.

To help you get to know me, one of my favorite sayings is "Whatever worth doing is worth doing well." (What does that say about me as a teacher and a person?   How could that possibly be a hint about our class?  Hmmm...)  Another bit about me: last year, we wrote 6-word memoirs and mine was "I love to help find solutions."  Do you get how that is math-y, teacher-y, and applies to my IS job?  I also love technology, so we will experiment with sites and tools I find.  I have been known to waste a lot of time looking for the perfect, fun font.

This summer, I spent a lot of time with my family--here, at a friend's lake house, and in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I also spent time with friends, where we tried new restaurants, talked school stuff, and went to movies. I also visited two Presidential Libraries, and I highly recommend visiting any of them around the country!  I learned how to grill vegetables, and I enjoy cooking and baking.  (I bet you will love the ginger snaps I bring you!)  I was kind of "craft-y" this summer, and I made about 100 magnets for different people.


I also took at least one picture every day this summer, and I plan to continue taking pictures every day during the school year!

Some teachers don't have much time off, and I did a LOT of school work this summer, but it was mostly for fun and just good learning.  I took a free online course through Stanford called "How to Learn Math," and I know you will benefit from what I learned there.  I love to read pretty much anything, but this summer, I spent most of my time with educational stuff.  I enjoy some YA fiction (Allegiant is released on 10/22!) and I am also looking forward to the movie Catching Fire (11/22!)

My examples were too long, and don't feel obligated to write that much, but I'll be happy with all of your posts.

I look forward to getting to know you, and I'm so excited about the new year!  
Get used to hearing about #growthmindset!
Thank you for your comments!  
(By the way, I moderate the comments, so they do not appear until I post them.  Sorry for any confusion!)

29 comments:

  1. Hey guys! My name is Elizabeth and I play softball. I love math and also have played the piano since I was 3.

    Elizabeth Burroughs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer algebra over geometry. i like the puzzle like aspect of it.
    -Paola B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Ms. Laster, take a picture every day of the year, and I have just completed my second full year of this extracurricular project. I also enjoy reading, and would much prefer doing this than homework ;) I'm looking forward to a great year in Pre cal!

    Lizzie Reimer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Highlandette, and I enjoy spending time painting and listening to my jamz. Even though I don't play right now, I enjoy playing soccer as well.

    Alexandra Ricker

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello, I like math because it seems very interesting with the many types of it. although geometry seemed a bit more difficult than algebra it was still fun.
    - rp370843

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. My name is Shelby I am in band. I love math and hope to major in Accounting and get my CPA.

    Shelby Killoran 3rd period

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone! I love sports, especially football (Go Packers!) and am currently the girl's basketball team manager. I also love to read, like Lizzie, and am looking forward to a great year with you, Ms. Laster!
    Bethany VanGoethem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, algebra is easily the coolest thing everrrr. Math is my worst subject, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Looking forward to the coming year.

    Seth Villasana

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Mary Estrera and I like musicals and Tina Fey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, my name is Carolyn and over the summer I worked for a T-shirt company. I got to learn how to work on illustrator and learn some accounting on the side! Also a big fan of Sonic the hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Math is one of my favorite subjects, and I can't wait to see what this year has in store!
    Kathryn B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! My favorite subject is actually math! I am on the golf team and can't wait for this year.

    Robyn Hall

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I'm Sarah! I'm a Highlandette and dance is my passion. I also like watching TV (Grey's Anatomy!!!) I definitely prefer algebra over geometry.

    Sarah Tonn 3rd period

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Im Chris B.! I have a passion for anything that involves the outdoors! i also run cross country and it is a good way to blow off steam when i am down!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I'm Allie Byrd, I like Algebra more than Geometry. It's a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I'm Sarah! My best friend is my dog Buddy and I'm so excited for senior year!

    Sarah Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello im Reid F. I am in the band. I am also on the baseball team. Baseball is my favorite sport.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My name is Lilly Maxwell. I'm a junior this year and I'm a Wrangler. Math is my worst subject.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi my name is Carter Gardner and I play music, basketball, and football! I love math, looking forward to this year with all of y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I spend most of my time playing softball or reading. Math is my worst subject so I'm a little nervous about pre-cal.

    Maddie Cook 3rd

    ReplyDelete
  21. My name is Tennessee Bonner and I enjoy ms Laster's class

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hola, my name is Dominik Fritz. I am a junior, and I participate in theatre tech and enjoy wrestling. I'm decent at most things.

    ReplyDelete
  23. my name ksanet and i am a senior. i love algebra than geometry mostly because its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My name is Blaine Hale and I really enjoy playing golf and math.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My name is Jojo Henderson. I play Volleyball at Lake Highlands. Go cats?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, My name is Olivia and I run track. I prefer algebra than geometry and i am so excited about senior year!!!.

    Olivia Kamgang

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, I'm Malte, the German exchange Student.
    -Malte Knöfel

    ReplyDelete
  28. WHAT'S UP PEOPLE!! I am a senior and i run track. I can't wait to see how this year is going to turn out to be. LAKE HIGHLANDS WOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!!

    Christian Avalos

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi my name is Rachel Harris. I am a junior this year and I like to play music. I prefer algebra over geometry!

    ReplyDelete